Summer time is salad time…they’re light and mostly good for you. Here’s a simple balsamic vinaigrette for your next plate of greens!
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar, optional*
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- Mesclun salad mix or favorite greens, for accompaniment
- Assortment of salad ingredients, such as cherry tomatoes, chopped carrots, sliced red onion, chopped celery, diced cucumbers, walnuts
- Blue cheese, for garnish
1. Beat the vinegar in a bowl with the optional sugar, garlic, salt and pepper until sugar and salt dissolves.
2. Then beat in the oil by droplets, whisking constantly. (Or place all the ingredients in a screw-top jar and shake to combine.) Taste and adjust the seasonings.
3. Toss a few tablespoons of the dressing with the salad mix and desired salad ingredients, top with blue cheese and serve immediately.
If not using dressing right away, cover and refrigerate, whisking or shaking again before use.
*If using a good quality balsamic vinegar you should not need the sugar, but if using a lesser quality you might want the sugar to round out the dressing.
This recipe is from Emeril Lagasse